Friday, November 15, 2013

"The Gate" Batesville, Texas Nov 14

Thursday, November 14, 2013

"The Gate" Batesville, Texas 37 degrees and mostly sunny to 61 degrees and mostly sunny.
An average day of vehicles coming and going, mostly hauling crude oil out. 

Electric cutoff switch
I went to start Tan Jan using the remote start to allow the car to run for ten minutes I saw the lights flash and assumed it was running. When I went out and used the key fob to unlock the door there was no response I had to use the key to open the door.

The dash was dark no interior lights on and nothing no response from the key in the ignition. I connected the battery charger. The charger read zero (0.0) then I connected the charge to the other side of the switch, you know the hard to get to side. The battery charger started to work reading 12 volts and the battery mostly charged. I removed the switch and connected the cables directly and every thing is now normal. Except I can not tow this way as the electric power needs to be off when towing. In the picture above you can see the left post is at an angle and the material is partly melted.

This is the cables connected without the switch
 

1 comment:

  1. Well, that sux. What do you suppose is drawing a hellacious amount of current through the switch and, more importantly, when? Did the switch die while protecting the battery and electrical system from a short? Was the connection bad, allowing for excessive resistance? Inquiring (read: nosy) minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete